So. I'm in love with Romania. Well, really I'm in love with Romanians. At least the ones I've met. The first two days were insane, and I felt so lost, not understanding the language, not knowing what to expect, and super tired. I've totally gotten over that now. I understood so much more today (azi) than yesterday (ieri). Certainly, today was the best yet. I know it's only going to get better. The Lord is showing and teaching me so much! Here's what I've got so far:
Bucharest is kind of an ugly city, but at the same time there is a beauty to it. There are definitely cute parts, but even the dirty ugly parts are worth seeing. I had some awesome pictures that I had taken while riding around, but my memory card went bezerk, and I guess I'll never see them again. So imagine a beautifully ugly Bucharest with lots of block housing, alley fences, graffiti, advertisements, and "nu parcati" signs. It's so great that God gives me the eyes to see the beauty that is here, and to enjoy this place.
Sarah Smith is cool. On the off chance she reads this, I can't brag about her too much, but she's cool. You can tell she has a huge heart. It's so awesome that I got to come with her after she's been in the states for a while, because I see the kids' reactions to her after a couple weeks away from her. They literally swarm her and scream "Sarah, Sarah!" It's such a privelege to see children crawl all over her and see the way she loves on them. God is very much a presence through her - His love is so visible in the way she loves the kids and her staff.
It is ridiculous how quickly I have fallen for these kids. I've been here four days. Already I don't know how I'll ever leave. Today was Children's Day, which is a huge holiday in Romania. We took the kids to a big park, where they played games and had cake. It was my first interaction with the older kids, but I can't wait to spend more time with them. Even though they think I am crazy for not knowing Romanian. I've mostly spent time at the abandoned babies hospital and I've been once to the little kids orphanage. I honestly can't wait to get to know all the kids and just love on them!
I am absolutely head over heels for Rosalia (Rosie). She is almost three, and is absolutely the most adorable child I have ever seen. She has some cognitive impairments due to mirocephalus. She is smart though, she does understand a lot and is learning more all the time. She is learning to walk some, which is precious. She had gotten lice, so they shaved her head, so now she looks less cute than before. Really she is beautiful though. Every time I leave, I want to just bring her with me. I pretty much can't stand to leave her. It's amazing how God can open your heart to love so much, but break it all the same.
Pray that I will pour out that love and be an example of Christ, that God's will will be realized in the lives of these kids, and that they will grow to love Him as they are loved.
I know this verse is used a lot, but it's the Word of God nonetheless, and it is truth. Heaven is theirs, and we ought to see them there. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
No comments:
Post a Comment